martedì 9 novembre 2010

Stephanie Gilmore wins her 4th ASP World Title in a row!!




Stephanie Gilmore wins her 4th ASP World Title in a row!!

It's monumental for women's surfing, too. Green Ocean Surfing wants to also pay attention to women’s surfing. Unfortunately it usually all revolves around men’s surfing and women are sort of out of the spotlight… it’s something GOS just can’t stand!! The level of women’s surfing is really very high and there are amazing and very talented women surfers in the world, for instance Australian Stephanie Gilmore. She started surfing when she was 10, when she stood on a bodyboard. By age 17 she was entering world tour events as a wild card competitor, and won the 2005 Roxy Pro Gold Coast. Only one year later, at 18, she won her first ASP world title. What else is there to say? 



Gilmore, like Slater, is a dominant force. Even though the pro surfing spotlight remains on Kelly Slater, who just won his 10th ASP World Tour title, we should not forget what Stephanie Gilmore has accomplished.

22 year-old Stephanie Gilmore from Newcastle, Australia won her 4th ASP World Title in a row – and took the 2010 Rip Curl Search title as well on Monday, November 1, in Puerto Rico.
She SHREDDDS!!!!

She defeated rookie sensation Carissa Moore (HAW), 18, in the finals, in two-to-three foot (1 meter) waves.
In challenging afternoon conditions, Gilmore locked in a near-perfect 9.80 out of a perfect 10 for a searing forehand assault on a rare clean righthander.

I was just really fortunate that that wave cleaned up for me to do some damage on,” Gilmore said. “Even afterwards, I just couldn’t find a solid backup. Carissa (Moore) has been ripping all event long and she’s so dangerous. I was honored to be in the Final with her and to win it, just makes everything that much bigger.”

I actually dreamed this one up last night,” Steph said. “Maybe I’m still dreaming. It’s been a monumental day for me. I mean, the best mindset to have in your heats is to be relaxed and calm, and after winning the title in the Quarters, I just felt really calm. So it worked out well and I think I actually surfed better after it was done and dusted.”

This title means a lot to me,” Steph said. “The girls on tour this year have been the best they’ve ever been and I’ve been pushed in every one of my heats. The younger girls especially have a whole new approach and they’re gaining confidence in every surf. The future for the sport is going to be excited and I can’t wait for it. But for now, I’m going to celebrate my win.”

4x world champ....

Stephanie beat out Melanie Bartels (HAW) in the quarterfinals.
I’m really at a loss for words right now,” Gilmore said. “Mel (Bartels) is one of the most dangerous surfers in the world and has had my number on several occasions. Even on that last wave there, I was certain she’d got the score. I was blown away when they called it out and I’m rapt right now.”

4 titles in 4 seasons means she’s unbeatable at this point. Gilmore has displayed an incredible level of dominance in her sport. She's now the most likely surfer to match Slater with 10 world titles.

I guess I haven’t really been thinking about that,” Gilmore said. “But to hold a record that Layne (Beachley) or even Kelly (Slater) never got is pretty special. I never thought I would even win two consecutive titles so to win four is a massive achievement for me.”



I probably wouldn’t have gotten four titles without Kelly to push me along. He was in my dreams the other night before I won”, revealed Stephanie Gilmore.
Kelly Slater, after winning  his 10th ASP World Title in Puerto Rico, in reference to Stephanie Gilmore who won the women's title days earlier, said  “To come out and win the contest today and cap it off, getting a little bit of Stephanie Gilmore inspiration there”. “Stephanie was drinking champagne and then went out and still smashed everyone, but I didn't drink, I still stayed focused” Slater added.

Sources: http://www.aspworldtour.com/2010/11/01/four-time-asp-women%E2%80%99s-world-champion-stephanie-gilmore-takes-out-rip-curl-women%E2%80%99s-pro-search-puerto-rico/

http://surf.transworld.net/1000118266/features/steph-gilmore-wins-fourth-asp-world-title-in-a-row/2/


Nessun commento:

Posta un commento